On Balmer Island where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation the population increases to 100 000 during the summer months To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians the town council of Balmer Island should limit the numb

"On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the number of mopeds rented by the island's moped rental companies from 50 per day to 25 per day during the summer season. By limiting the number of rentals, the town council will attain the 50 percent annual reduction in moped accidents that was achieved last year on the neighboring island of Seaville, when Seaville's town council enforced similar limits on moped rentals."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

Looking at the neighboring island, Seaville, and recognizing the enforcement they made that ultimately did reduce the number of moped accidents is a great start. However, it is unclear what the population of Seaville is, as well as how populated it actually gets during the summer months. On Balmer Island, it is clearly stated that the population increases to 100,000 in the summer months. This makes you asks several questions about the two towns at hand. Balmer Island may be more populated during the summer months than Seaville due to more attractions for visitors. With that being said, although Seaville did see a reduction in the number of moped and pedestrian accidents, their population could also be a lot smaller during the summer months which, of course, would contribute to the reduced number of accidents.
Moreover, it is important to note that limiting the number of rentals will not guarantee a reduction in these accidents. For example, if Balmer Island is currently renting 50 mopeds per day and reduces that number to 25 per day, you still have no idea who these mopeds will be rented to. One of the 25 individuals could rent a moped, drive recklessly on the roads and cause several accidents. It is also unclear if these mopeds have a designated area on the roads. For example, think of bike lanes – it is clearly shown in white bold painting that this area is made for them and to not drive in that lane. On Balmer and Seaville island, do they have the same similar protocol when renting a moped? Another unanswered question is the documentation that has to be filled out and looked over before renting a moped. For example, it could be possible that Seaville added a secondary precaution by requiring visitors to fill out paperwork, prove their identity, and maybe even do a background check. Balmer Island, on the other hand, could be throwing out mopeds to any visitor that walks through the front door. With that being said, in order for this argument to be valid it is important to know the population of Seaville, and if there is just as much traffic in the summer months as Balmer Island. Equally important, we need to know the weather for both islands before making an assumption and taking action on this argument. What if Seaville gets less rainfall than Balmer? This could also be impacting the number of incidents.
Additionally, an important piece of information to know is the population as a whole, not just the increase during the summer months. It is also crucial to document the other months, such as fall and spring, which are other popular months that may have nice enough weather to rent a moped. If we had a year documented with each season and the number of accidents per season, we would have a deeper insight on how to proceed. For example, if there are more accidents in the summer than spring, would you keep the number of mopeds rented at 50 per day, or would you keep it reduced to 25? Once we find out more information on both islands, including legal documentation from visitors, track record of the weather during the summer months, and the population of both islands is when we can start gathering more information and considering this argument.