Should students be allowed to evaluate teachers

Should students be allowed to evaluate teachers?

Teacher holds one of the most influential and crucial jobs in the country, they
provide the future generation with knowledge. The influence a good teacher has on
the student is exceptional, while the effect of a bad teacher can have a life-long effect
on a child. Thus, educators are regularly judged on their quality of teaching to have
some adjustments which are beneficial to teacher and student. As a result, students
should be allowed to evaluate their teachers.
Students should be allowed to evaluate their teachers because they know how their
teachers thoroughly as they spend all their time with teachers in the classroom. In
fact, when school administration, parents or others visit the classroom, both teachers
and students, will show off the most perfect aspect of their best behavior. It likes
they have to work under surveillance by the boss. By the way, it is not able to
evaluate the whole aspect of the class. Besides that, students who are in contact with
educators directly get knowledge from them, students can easily realize teachers’ s
gaffe, not consistent teaching approach or immodest behaviors.
The other reason that is equally important is some benefits from student’s
assessment of their teachers. When being judged by students, educators are
disagreeable at first, gradually have positive changes. The information received from
students helps teachers to identify, conquer shortcomings, from thence personal
fulfillment, and in the best interests of their students. Furthermore, for school
administration, this information is very significant. For instance, the majority of
students in a class consider that schoolmistress teaches hard to grasp, even though
she has impressive academic standard, it would mean the assignment of the board of
directors has something wrong, not harmony in both teacher and student which has
to modify more appropriately. Or with the division of homeroom teacher, students
appraise their teachers enthusiastically, but efficiency is not very strong which
means that the teacher has no preferable procedure, needs to be offered advice and
assistance. Generally, that information is not sufficient but very necessary. As for
students, they will feel they are appreciated and will be more aware of all things
about the school.
There are several methods that can be conducted to consult students about their
teachers. The most common strategy is that is carried out by a questionnaire. When
taking student’s opinion, questions plays a major role. The questions are delivered
that require to be constructed by experts, based on educational, scientific perspective
and have to be in harmony with Vietnamese culture and tradition like “be deferential
to teacher and respected for moral”, should not use “spontaneous, self-building”
questions. The questions should not be directional, such as “ is it easy to understand
the lesson?”, it would be better to replace it with “ in the teacher’s lecture, which
part do you feel most interesting? Or what do you find most attractive?... It will
enable students to think carefully before making decisions. Dinh Tien Hoang High
School ( Ba Dinh District ) which is a good case in point, has distributed
questionnaires for students to evaluate teachers twice a year. Or at Luong The Vinh
High School (Thanh Tri district), the collection of students' opinions to evaluate
teachers to improve teaching quality has also been carried out for a long time.
Moreover, some educators get an opinion from students directly that help to keep
the relationship between teacher and student and enhance the effectiveness of
teaching, different from the unfriendly assessment by questionnaire.
The view “ students should be allowed to evaluate their teachers” sounds
convincing at first, but it still has some negative impacts. There are many bad results
from students who judge teacher lack of justice, accuracy, some parts evaluate
emotionally and even do not have enough knowledge to assess. Some teachers may
feel outraged and have tension within their work. They claim to be judged by
students, will be disesteemed, especially, educators who are appraised with a terrible
comment, usually have psychological barrier when standing before students.
In conclusion, students should be permitted to judge their teachers because of
some of its benefits. However, evaluating teachers is not only by this way, it should
consider many of their aspects. No one is perfect, so both students and teachers need
to make an effort, make adjustments to develop and bring real educational
performance.