In any field of endeavor it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement

In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The past leads up to the present and the present in turn unfolds into the vivid possibilities of multiple futures. Over the years quantum physicists have tried to study time with their best efforts and are still in the pursuit of greatness. All in the name of simplifying this convolution we so dearly call our universe. It is indeed this systematic linear nature of time we are all so frequent with where the spectrum of past events coalesce into events of the future and each speck of dust gets to play its role in the fleeting present.

Through the ages that we can account for or pen down we have progressed as a race – the humankind - sure with its endless pitfalls and shortcomings but ultimately in the search of the greater good. It is safe to say we are avid followers of reason, passion, objectives and personal pinnacles of achievement in the way we try to best ourselves each and every day. This comes hand in hand with years of detailed study of those who have come before us and how they helped us to gradually shape our thought and disposition of the present times.

Now, from an academic perspective we are often taught world history, advancements in science over the centuries, art and its roots, philosophies and its ever-lasting social dynamics which are still in play in our times. The early discoveries of all disciplines are usually taught at a more younger time in a student’s life and gradually as the student’s mind blossoms into the tree of knowledge. They are looking for answers that are more appropriate with the modern scenarios keeping in mind how things came to be and why things are the way they are.

We learn about failed conquests of nationalistic chauvinists and sometimes how their beloved jingoists brought about present world order – so that our present fragile threads in society stay intact keeping in mind the warning signs established by the past. Or maybe the “failed” theories of science with their obscure postulates trying to push one by the common man which later got “debunked” by their students most of the times. Yes, it sounds a tad bit harsh to label scientists’ discoveries as failures, that is why we use limitations to warn us what the theory couldn’t establish such it prevents us from going down that rabbit hole.

On the contrary, some may say delving into the past puts a cap on our imagination and our free thought and expressions. Sometimes it makes us to succumb to be another example than the next innovator. Some claim it would be better off not knowing the past at all so that we get to conclusions first hand and claim our dominance over the field.

However, the rhetoric that rebuilding the wheel is certainly futile and in utter vain when we could be making adjustments and embellishments to it. The past is like a map through the sands of time marking every “Eureka!” and every sigh -- it doesn’t build the future itself but in turn influences the present enough to arrive at it perhaps in a better way than we could have ever anticipated.