Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well being of the societies and environments in which they operate Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations provided they operate within the law is to make as mu

Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as much money as possible.

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.

Corporation may be defined as a company or group of people authorized as a single entity and recognized in law as such. A corporation can sometimes be likened to a business or firm – an indication that such entities are, of course, out to rake in some cash.

However, this sole objective of many corporations is in fact intertwined with some other factors such as acceptance within the community in which they operate. For instance, some communities may lack certain infrastructures (borehole, good roads, etc.) – even after years of clamoring, their cries remain unanswered by successive government administrations. A corporation in such community may decide to step into the picture by attending to these basic needs of the society. This act, although may not be entirely altruistic on the part of the corporation, is tantamount to improving life of the residents.

Also, depending on what kind of business the corporation operates, they might have to clean up their own mess. For example, an oil-based corporation whose emissions pollute the environment will have to facilitate some biodegradation to take care of the pollutants, if they are to remain in business in that community.

No single goal of a corporation exists in isolation. So even when the ulterior motive is to make money, corporations may have to put up an altruistic front to achieve their commercial dream.