Some people think that universities must provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Other think that the true function of a university should be to give an access to knowledge for its own sake,regardless of whether the course

Some people think that universities must provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Other think that the true function of a university should be to give an access to knowledge for its own sake,regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.
What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?

Education is the major necessity of a society. It is the only commodity which differentiates a human being from an animal. Without education, the society will be spiritless and there will be no order and peace. In order to provide education to the people there is a system of schools, colleges and universities. University is a place for higher education, it is a place, where most capable members of a society are taught to be the greatest. It is where, the grooming of future leaders, scientists and teachers of the society takes place. So the education system must take a keen interest in setting up the course of studies for the students, so that they learn the best knowledge and skills, in order tackle the future challenges of the work place and society.

In my opinion, universities must organize the course of studies for every discipline, enriching them with all the programs necessary to help the students in their practical life. Every student must be enrolled in a specific discipline, based on his I.Q., and his interest. For example, if some has got enrolled in the software engineering he must be taught each and every basics of this field including all the skills which will help him in his practical life in the work place. But that’s been said, the course must also focus on the basic ethical and moral education which will help him to not only make a good living for himself but to also make this world a better place.

On the other hand, some people believe that such categorization of syllabus and disciplines in the university is useless, rather, every student must be given access to whatever he wants to learn. Every student must decide his own curriculum and be graduated on completion of that course, which in my opinion is a ridiculous idea, as it will allow all the lazy students to skip the necessary parts of their course and to graduate without learning the skills that are demanded by the market.

So to conclude, universities must have a strict curriculum for every discipline, which would ensure that the students must learn the basic knowledge and skills, which are demanded from them in the practical life. Although, everyone must have an open access to every educational resource he wants to explore, provided, it must not divert his focus from the main course, he is enrolled in the university for.