Some people think that universities must provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Other think that the true function of a university should be to give an access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the cours

Some people think that universities must provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Other think that the true function of a university should be to give an access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.
What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?

In the modern era, the job market is getting challenging. So the debate regarding the purpose of universities, whether to give the education for its own sake, irrespective of what the employers demand or to provide the necessary skills and information, which, the students are going to need in their practical life, is very significant.

In my opinion, nowadays, the biggest reason for which people go to universities, is to equip themselves with the expertise, which will help them to get good employment opportunities in the future. So, that’s why, universities must organize their curriculum to provide their students with the important education that is demanded in the professional market.

I am totally against the common belief that universities should provide knowledge, irrespective of what the recruitment agencies demand. Because, if there would be no collaboration between the education system and the job market demands, our future professionals will lack the necessary competency to deal with the problems they will be appointed for. So no one will hire them and ultimately the development process of whole country will be compromised, due to lack of skillful workforce. That is why, our teaching system should not only be based on theoretical education, but, it must also coach the students about the practical implementation of this knowledge, so that, by the time of completion of this education, students would be ready for their practical life.

So, to conclude, our universities' curriculum must be molded to equip the learners with the set of skills, which will help them to secure jobs and make a good living. Otherwise, the graduate without the necessary expertise would be no better than the uneducated members of the community.