Celebrity status no longer equate to that of talent achievements Discuss

Celebrity status no longer equate to that of talent/achievements. Discuss.

It is a general perception that a celebrity’s life is complete with lots of achievements and famous people enjoy highest level of status in society. However, in my opinion, status of a famous person does not match with that of an individual who is really capable and has tasted success in his or her field.

Going by ‘Maslow’s hierarchy of needs’ a framework created by a famous psychologist, every person tries to move up the ladder once all his basic needs are attained. Almost 70% of the celebrities are those who have gained their status either by being a relative of a bigger star or by shedding their inherited money on marketing. These are individuals who reached directly to that status without achieving anything. Therefore, these people do not enjoy the real peace of mind which comes only through the sense of accomplishment. For instance, Jia Khan a well known actress in Indian film industry committed suicide as she got frustrated with her under achieved life even-though she enjoyed celebrity status.

On the other hand, people with real talent and accomplishments tend to move up the ladder in a gradual manner and they are the real celebrities with actual sense of attainment. For example, Bansal brothers worked extremely hard for past ten years to create a giant online retail company Flipkart. Today, they have become stars and also have a sense of fulfilment.

Another point to consider here is that of the age. Most celebrities fade away with their ages. Their celebrity status remains with them only for few years. This fading away pushes them down to the same status where they were few years back. This leads to significant frustration. However, people with capability and success, continue their work and enjoy their status till the end of their lives.

To conclude, status of a celebrity does not match that of an individual with real talent and attainment as in the former case sense of achievement is not present most of the time.