Financial education should be a mandatory component of the school program To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement

Financial education should be a mandatory component of the school program. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Currently, financial literacy course is not a part of the school curriculum. The issue of including such subject as a compulsory component of the education system is a topic that is debatable. In my, opinion financial education should be offered to students who are willing to learn from it as an extra coursework. This short essay will explore how parents and school could develop children’s financial competence.

To start with, parents hold the primary responsibility of molding their child’s behavior towards money. In fact, they are crucial to the development of their child’s strong foundation of financial competence by teaching them the skills they need. This is because as adults, parents have the experience and perspective in dealing with financial matters that children do not have. Even though parents’ finances are currently at a mess, they can still teach the basics of finance to their children through good parenting skills because they do not need a perfect financial track record to become positive role models.

It can be probably agreed that school have some role in shaping children’s ability to handle personal finances. Although parents could teach their children about relationship between spending and saving, schools might be a better avenue for children to learn about different topics about money management such as contribution to pension plans and saving money for retirement age. It may be then argued that financial-related subject help children to handle personal finances more effectively and empower them to take control of their financial lives.

To summarize, it has been argued that parents play a vital role in developing their children’s financial literacy and schools could also contribute in molding the skills of children to handle personal finances.