Many manufactured food and drink products contain high levels of sugar which causes many health problems Sugary products should be made more expensive to encourage people to consume less sugar Do you agree or disagree

Many manufactured food and drink products contain high levels of sugar, which causes many health problems. Sugary products should be made more expensive to encourage people to consume less sugar.
Do you agree or disagree?

In recent years, a large amount of sugar is contained in many manufactured food and drink, which can have many adverse impacts on people’s health because the consumption of those food and beverage products makes the level of sugar consumers absorb higher than the recommended level. Therefore, it is suggested that the higher price of sugary products can discourage people from consuming high levels of sugar. However, it tends to me that this solution is only effective in certain conditions and it should be proposed along with the other ones.

It cannot be denied that the rise in the price of sugary food and beverage can influence some people’s eating habits. The high price can become a kind of barrier so that people having low incomes cannot afford to buy those items. As a result, instead of purchasing manufactured products, those consumers will spend their budget on other healthy ones which are cheaper such as green vegetables or fresh fruits, so there will be a decrease in the consumption of processed food and drink, which means they also absorb less sugar. Especially, nowadays, the COVID – 19 pandemic has been affecting seriously the international economy, so this solution can be more effective because more people tend to consume alternative items which cost reasonably to save money.

On the other hand, there are still a group of people who are not affected by this measure because they have high income even regardless of the pandemic. Moreover, they think that those processed items are not only convenient but also provide people with enormous power because of their high levels of calories, so they still purchase those products. Thus, governments should devise other solutions to reduce the amount of sugar consumption. It can be recommended that all manufacturers are required to print exactly the contents of their products on their packages and introduce detailed information about those products in their advertising campaigns. Whereas the governments can run advertisements to expand consumers’ knowledge about manufactured items and the detrimental impacts of the high levels contained in those items, and encourage people to buy other healthy products.

To sum up, in order to prevent consumers from absorbing a high amount of sugar, it is advisory that a number of measures should be implemented, instead of only making sugary items more expensive.