In some cases people who break the law should be warned instead of receiving punishment Do you agree or disagree

In some cases people who break the law should be warned instead of receiving punishment. Do you agree or disagree?

The debate over lawbreakers and the appropriate punishment for them has long remained a source of controversy. Many opine that in some particular cases, wrongdoers should be warned only instead of having to serve harsh punishments such as life imprisonment or capital one. Personally speaking, I partly advocate the former view and will corroborate some pronounced rationales below.

Firstly, there are some special circumstances that are inevitable to break the law. Whereas normal cases like driving in a drunken status or racing recklessly on the road will be punished with a severe fine, several situations such as driving people who are in an emergency to the hospital or the lawbreaker has a heavy mental health should be let off with a warning on account of a reasonable reason. Secondly, a serious punishment will have a negative effect on wrongdoers that are young adults or teenagers as they may not receive proper education from schools and family. Therefore, forcing them to hold responsible for their offense does not seem rational. In other words, they should be given a second chance to realize their mistake and reset their life since law is created to bolster people’s moral, not accumulating the prison with more lawbreakers.

Despite some aforementioned reasons, it is worth noticing that even though the offender does not commit a crime on purpose, sometimes it is unavoidable for them to receive such punishments. To be more specific, the after-effects that family of the victim has to endure are tragic and excruciating that nothing can compensate. In worst case scenario, they have to bear the death of their beloved one, so a life imprisonment or a high compensation is still not enough to make up for what is truly invaluable to them. To cite an example, Cameron Herrin – a man whose car rashly collided with another one, was fiercely supported by some people on Tiktok for a second chance though he only had to serve a 24-year custody after causing a dreadful death to a woman and her young daughter.

In conclusion, even though agreeing that there are some situations people should be treated with leniency from the judge, I am of the opinion that punishment also needs to rely on the severity and aftereffects of each case in order to be fair and square.