In some countries university students live at home with their family while they study whereas in other countries students attend university in another city Do you think the benefits of living away from home during university outweigh the disadvantages

In some countries university students live at home with their family while they study, whereas in other countries students attend university in another city.

Do you think the benefits of living away from home during university outweigh the disadvantages?

In today's fast-changing world, education-related issues have always attracted great attention from the public. When it comes to tertiary education, some people advocate that undergraduates should move out from their houses to live in a campus. From my point of view, although its merits are justifiable to some extent, I am convinced that living away from home during university can pose more demerits to learners.

On the one hand, the benefits of living independently during university are somehow worth considering, as it can equip undergraduates with more social and interpersonnal skills. Unlike living with their families, living alone means that students are now have to be accountable for their basic needs including food and shelter, not to mention their tuition fees. Without a doubt, they have to acquire and hone pratical skills including cooking or doing the dishes, as well as some soft skills such as bargaining, ordering and communicating. In a long run, they can grow into a more disciplined, independent and self-catered individuals.

On the other hand, although the advantages of moving out in univeristy period are inevitable to some extent, I believe its disadvantages are more worth considering. The first thing to notice is that this can put a threat on undergraduates' safety. Living in a whole new city or even in campus cannot be more secure than in their houses in any way, due to the risks of houses being broken into, house fires, and etc. Moreover, living alone in the new milestone of lives, where they just turn into adults, may lead to some psychological issues. Those with sensitive mindset and lack of affection may feel isolated, lonely and even stressed when they have to deal with a barrage of different things arruptly. As a result, this can jeopardize their academic performances and even lead to mental health.

In conclusion, although living independently when going to the university is somehow beneficial, I am convinced that it can cause more problems including the danger encountered and increase in mental issues.