In some cultures children are encouraged to compete against each other What are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach

In some cultures, children are encouraged to compete against each other. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach?

There has been widely instilled that youngsters in particular cultures are motivated to compete with one another. The issue would prompt, despite some considerable demerits, several merits which I will elaborate in the following paragraph.

While the significant drawbacks from having competitive attitude would be inducing children to constantly pursue feeling of superiority over others inducing aggressive behaviour – reported by National Institute of Health – bullying incidents often occurs in classroom. Specifically, individuals will develop hierarchical dominance, always retaining the truth and finding it difficult to appreciate other’s perspectives. Furthermore, orientating to outperform others contributes to high levels of stress. Along with parent’s expectations, achievement pressure inflicts a tendency to blame and compare oneself. As reported by Kyodo News, the intense rivalry get into prestigious school Japanese kids suffering from mental health.

Moving to the benefits, it might be stated that this may improve children self-development primarily shaping creativity and establishing multiple talents. Unconsciously, young learners will devote greater attention and effort to develop strategies in which initiating them to have growth mindset to explore new ideas. Moreover, challenge exposure can accelerate their resilience to deal with real life situation. Psychology today presents that mistake improve student’s learning in New York City School. Considering that, juveniles will get used to failure, which will make them not easily discouraged and able to see various opportunities in any condition.

In summary, through enhancing competition against others could be a potential negative including children power control and mental health problems. However, the positives of this competition may lead to higher self-capability and being optimist.