Environmental damage is a problem in most countries What are the major causes of environmental damage Who is responsible for preventing environmental damage

It is true that environmental damage is a worldwide catastrophe . Some major causes can
be easily identified and governments should assume responsibility for taking action to
prevent an ecological crisis. There are three major causes of environmental damage across the globe.

Firstly, the rising consumption of raw materials has led to an increase in mineral extraction, for
example oil or gas from Russia, the USA and the Middle East countries.

Secondly, deforestation has taken place in many regions of the world, including almost all the
lowland tropical rainforests, resulting in drought and habitat destruction affecting
millions of species. Many creatures are now on the brink of extinction.

Finally, the depletion of natural resources has gone hand-in-hand with polluting activities. The
burning or dumping of toxic waste and of materials that are not bio-degradable has
contaminated the air that we breathe, the food that we eat and the water that we drink.
Government at all levels – local, national and international authorities – must be held
accountable for preventing further environmental degradation. The oceans, for example,
are heavily polluted and international law must be enforced by international bodies before
all marine life is killed. In addition, governments should impose an official ban on all
activities that harm or pollute the environment and allocate resources to schemes such as
tree planting or the creation of local nature reserves and national parks. Individuals can
form pressure groups to campaign for governments to take such action and support
organisations such as Greenpeace or the Worldwide Fund for Nature.

In conclusion, the causes of environmental damage need to be tackled by governments,
who alone have the power to enforce laws to protect our precious environment.

Essays by the user: