TPO 03 Integrated Writing Task Rembrandt is the most famous of the seventeenth century Dutch painters However there are doubts whether some paintings attributed to Rembrandt were actually painted by him One such painting is known as attributed to Rem

The article states that although Rembrandt was the most famous painters of the seventeenth century, some experts believe that, he has not painted some paintings that are attributed to him. One of these paintings are " Portrait of an Elderly Woman in a White Bonnet". The painting's style and the representation of the portrait is clearly similar to Rembrandt's style but there are other things that suggest it can't be his painting. However, the professor explains that later experiments indicate that it is a work by Rembrandt.
First, the reading claims that there is an inconsistency in the way of woman's dressing. The White cap that she wears is of a kind that only servants wear but the luxurious collar of her coat isn't of a kind that a servant can afford. The professor refuses this point by saying that, the fur collar of the coat is not a part of original painting. He says that a hundred years after Rembrandt painted this portrait, a person added this detail to the painting. He thinks that purpose of doing such thing was to increase the value of the painting, and since the original painting doesn't have this detail, it is clear that Rembrandt has painted it.
Second, the article posits that while Rembrandt was a master of painting light and shadow, in this painting the face doesn't appear partially in shadow, an error which Rembrandt never would make. However, the professor says that original painting that means before the luxurious fur collar detail added to it, contained a simple light-colored collar. So the original one doesn't reflects the light and the face occurs to be partially in shadow just like the way Rembrandt prefers.
Third, the reading claims that back of the painting shows that it was painted on a panel made of several pieces of wood which are sticked together, and this can't be of Rembrandt style either. The professor opposes this point by explaining that after some changes were made to the painting, it's wood panel was enlarged with extra wood pieces. Moreover, the original painting was painted on a wood kind that was same with the wood type that Rembrandt has used for one of his other paintings. This painting was his self-portrait with a hat.

Essays by the user:

Write the essay in 20 minutes.