TPO 21 Genetic modification a process used to change an organism s genes and hence its characteristics is now being used to improve trees Through genetic modification it is possible to create trees that produce more fruit grow faster or withstand adverse

TPO 21

Genetic modification, a process used to change an organism’s genes and hence its characteristics, is now being used to improve trees. Through genetic modification, it is possible to create trees that produce more fruit, grow faster, or withstand adverse conditions. Planting genetically modified trees on a large scale promises to bring a number of benefits.
First, genetically modified trees are designed to be hardier than natural trees; that is, they are more likely to survive than their unmodified counterparts. In Hawaii, for example, a new pest-resistant species of papaya tree has been developed in response to ringspot virus infestations that have repeatedly damaged the native papaya-tree population. Planting the genetically modified papayas has largely put an end to the ringspot problem.
Moreover, genetically modified trees promise to bring a number of economic benefits to those who grow them. Genetically modified trees tend to grow faster, give greater yields—of wood, fruit, or other products—and be hardier. This allows tree farmers to get faster and greater returns on their farming investment and save on pesticides as well.
Finally, the use of genetically modified trees can prevent overexploitation of wild trees. Because of the growing demand for firewood or building timber, many forests around the world are being cut down faster than they can be replaced. Introducing genetically modified trees—designed for fast growth and high yield in given geographic conditions—would satisfy the demand for wood in many of those areas and save the endangered native trees, which often include unique or rare species.

Both the reading and lecture discuss the ups and downs of the theory of using genetically modified trees to improve ecosystem. while Reading claims that genetically altered trees would provide many benefits, Lecture disagrees.
Firstly the reading asserts that newly modified trees are designed to sustain in more harsh surroundings. On the contrary, lecture argues that the alterations which were made in the genetics of these trees are the same whereby causing them to be alike. As a result, This uniform behavior would result in the mass destruction of these trees while facing harsh environments or some kind of new diseases are appeared.
Secondly, the reading points out that, while genetically modified trees have more products, they give the chance to farmers to make more money and gain more profits by selling the fruits. In contrast, lecture suggests that, farmers are required to pay great amount of money every time they want to plant new trees, and unlike wild trees they can't use the seeds from the fruits the burgeon new trees. Large companies that make this genetic alteration in trees are the ones who make the most money due to charging farmers to buy their product.
Finally, the reading insists that extinction of rare families of trees could be prohibited by introducing these genetically changed trees. However, lecture depicts that, alterations in the genetic of these trees have made them to need more resources like water, soil, air, and etc. Consequently, this would start a competition between wild and developed trees. This battle would harm the nature even more, due to the probable decay of resources for the wild trees.