TPO 44

TPO 44

The reading and the lecturer discuss the coins discovered at the Native American archaeological site were historical evidence or not. Although the lecturer brings three theories about the face of the coins the speaker refutes this idea through several reasons, which I will describe in this report.

First, the passage points out that the distance between the Native American site and other sites of Norse present is very far, so they did not bring the coin to this place. The lecturer, in contrast, rejects this by claiming that many other objects were found on the site where the coins were discovered. Based on history, the native people were travelled far distance. So, they bring these coins with themselves.

Furthermore, the passage which states that archaeologist had been not found other coins in this site, and it suggests that the Norse did not bring coins. However, the professor argues that the Norse did not build permanent settlements in North America; subsequently, they used to pack their valuable properties and bring them back with themselves. Therefore, they might bring the other coins back to Europe.

Finally, although the reading passage says that due to being useless, the Norse would not bring the coin to North America, the speaker disagrees by mentioning that the Norse would know that the Native American people valued attractive materials like coins. For example, they might use them in their necklaces. Thus, as Native American valued the coins, the Norse could trade with them with coins.