TPO72

TPO72

In terms of what contributes to the Transient lunar phenomena, the theories argued in the reading are all disputed by the professor.

It is suggested that TLP might be caused by errors in the telescopes. However, the lecturer argues that TLP are actually real events. As a matter of fact, if random observational errors give rise to TLP, they are expected to occur randomly. However, TLP are observed to happen in two specific locations. In this way, TLP do occur in Moon rather than caused by the defects in our optical instruments.

Second, as the reading points out, meteors that strike the lunar suface are able to produce enough heat energy to create TLP. However, the lecturer contradicts this view. In fact, the flash of light resulting from the explosion of TLP only lasts about one second while the duration of TLP is about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, although the grouped meteror showers can give a rise to some durable TLP, the majority of TLP are not reported during meteror showers, which means that they have other causes.

Thirdly, the statement that the lunar rocks can emit their own light through the process called thermoluminescence to create TLP is also challenged by the lecturer. Actually, the light emitted by the lunar rocks are weaker than the light reflected by the moon during the nighttime, making it invisible to observers. Since TLP are observed by many researchers, we can not attribute the occurrence of TLP to the thermoluminescenece.