Recent advances in medicine have resulted in an increase in life expectancy over the past four years Do you think that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

Recent advances in medicine have resulted in an increase in life expectancy over the past four years. Do you think that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

In recent years, the progress of modern medical facilities has increased human lifespan. Even though this issue seems more beneficial to some extent, I would argue that this has more significant drawbacks which I will elaborate in the ensuing paragraph.

On the one side, in my viewpoint, the soaring number of older people prompts overpopulation which leads to poor health rates. Along with high cost of housing, limited spaces might not provide decent residency causing the spread of pneumonia disease. Apparently, most people hardly own a proper house, living in middle-low income status, such as India – the world’ most populous country. Furthermore, high-cost health care for the elderly encumbers state finance which should be allocated for other crucial sectors. For instance, The European Union spends almost a quarter of GDP solely to support the well-being of the older population.

On the other side, this issue has substantial benefits in view of the business aspect, elderly people advise the younger generation to deal with problems and difficulties wisely. Along with medical sophistication, business operations led by the seniors come up with a wide range of core values to achieve greater company reputation. For example, in Japanese corporate culture, most of the higher positions are occupied by the older individuals due to their experience and tenure. Moreover, retired people can still be productive by working on their hobbies not only to fulfil daily needs but also to hinder caregiving burden. Considering mental health concerns, medical innovations and active ageing activities support them to feel more relaxed spending a contented life.

To sum up, even though this issue seems more beneficial to some points, it seems to me that developed medical facilities in human lifespan nowadays bring more drawbacks. Those include causing overpopulation and expending high-cost of national finance.