The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing During the past year Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on the job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant where the work shifts are one hour shorter than our

The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing. "During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Experts say that significant contributing factors in many on-the-job accidents are fatigue and sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Quiot and thereby increase productivity, we should shorten each of our three work shifts by one hour so that employees will get adequate amounts of sleep."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

According to the memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing, it was concluded that work shift of the workers be shorten in order to ensure that the workers are well rested thereby increasing productivity and reducing the on – the – job accidents. However, before this recommendation can be accepted, the following assumptions needs to be examined.

Firstly, it is assumed that panoply Industries has lesser on – the – job accidents due to shorter work shift when compared to Quiot Manufacturing. Perhaps the workers at panoply are skilled workers who have been working with the manufacturing machines for a long period of time thereby making them adept and skillful with its operation in comparison with Quiot manufacturing Industries who might have hired newbies, thereby making adaptation to the machine a bit harder, consequently, resulting in series of accidents. Also, it is likely that Quiot manufacturing organizes more workshop that enhances that workers are trained on proper work ethics thereby exposing them to various ways to reduce accident on the job. These scenarios typically elaborate more on the other measures that could limit on – the – job accident thereby rendering the assumption of shorter work shift flawed.
Further, it is assumed that the shift hours are so long as to cause fatigue, thereby, leading to on – the – job accidents. The expert take doesn’t categorically state the number of hours that ought to be dedicated to sleep and rest. Perhaps, the work shift still allows ample time for resting and the workers are just basically careless which results in the increased accident rate. The workers could be idle at work and not meeting up the work rate and decided to hasten things up, hence resulting in on – the- job accident.

Lastly, it is assumed that reduction in work shift will ultimately enhances productivity because the workers will be well rested. What if the workers have other works they do after the manufacturing works which makes them unable to rest and a shorter shift period will increase the hours to do extra work outside Quilox. This will definitely increase the time spent working extra hours and not yield the expected result of enhancing maximum rest hours. Hence this assumption does not hold water.
In conclusion, these assumptions are flawed and requires further evaluation in terms of detailed survey report and evaluations because the recommendations can be accepted.