The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement

The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Study of history or for that matter study of any science, is like a expedition in search of the unknown and to answer questions that have haunted humanity for years. Human mind is very curious and perhaps always in a questioning mode asking “Why?”. And nothing is more pleasing than finding answers to these “Why?” questions. And thus, main benifit of study of history is not to dispel the illusions that people now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times but to know why and what circumstances led to the chain of events in history.

The study of history is to know past and analyse the events and happenigs of past to study their effect on human civilization in general. Every moment that passes by becomes part of the history and as such these previous events and experiences help us to better our future. It is the past that acts as a base upon which our future decisions are taken. History helps us to know the mistakes done by humans in past and helps them make corrections and avoid those same mistakes in future. For example, It is from history that we know that whenever battles have been fought, the consequences are not just limited to human and military loss but many other seemingly disconnected fields get affected. During the world war two, nazism didn’t solely affect military losses of a country but also affected its art and culture. The second world war led to the destruction of works of art by the military. Hence, learinng from history, all countries know the deep running effects of the war and hence try their best to avoid it.

There is no illusion that people now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times. Time is constantly changing and change is imminent. People now are drastically different from people who lived in earlier times. we have come far away from living in caves upto living in air conditioned houses. Even psychologically, society has evolved from being racist and sexist to a society which cherishes equal rights and cares equally for animals as for humans. Hence, history plays no role in dispelling some illusion but instead acts as a compass to guide us towards a bright future.

Apart from a utilitarian view, study of history has many intrinsic benefits in evolution of men. History shows us how science and technology have turned men from savages into the men of reason and conscience today. For instance, history has shown us that how use of stone-tools helped early humans and thus indirectly hints how technology helps humans to survive and make progress. But more significantly history helps us to find where our roots lie and know after all what has made humans superior to all animals.

Hence, history is just like a compass which guides humanity towards a better life. And to regard its main benifit as to dispel illusions of people is wrong.