Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim In developing and supporting your position be su

Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Throughout history, outrage and social justice have worked hand in hand to address the vices of society. While the sources of which may vary, it is no doubt that when in concert, outrage can expose the uncomfortable, dark alleys of society that would then force the public to embrace social justice. The prompt in question asserts that Scandals are very useful because these incidents generate a big spark of outrage that no reformer or speaker is able to make on their own. I agree with the prompt for the following two reasons.

Firstly, in the high echelons of society, scandals have demonstrated to us the baselessness of the ruling elite – whether they be leaders of industry, or even those we have elected in power. A chief example would be the robber barons of western society during the Industrial revolution. To consolidate their control over the market, these capitalist ruling elites maximized their monetary gains at the expense of the common people. Through celebrated muckrakers like Ida Tarbell who exposed the horrendous, unsanitary working conditions in meat packing industry to the general public, society was able to visualize the tragedies that occur behind the doors of the industrial abattoir. Through the subsequent outrage that occurred, many citizens were able to force the hands of their representatives to pass laws which serve to establish rigid guidelines to sanitation within the meat packing industry. Without the graphic, horrendous, and scandalous stories published by Tarbell and many of her associates, we as a society wouldn’t have taken the steps to ensure safety and sanitation in our workplaces.

Furthermore, in everyday life, scandals have demonstrated the ability to “put on blast” the many ugly aspects of society that we conveniently ignore. Rather recently, the scandalous slaughter of George Floyd at the hands of Derek Chauvin and his associates demonstrated to us the pervasiveness of Police Brutality and the ongoing legacy of systematic racism in the US. While undue harassment and exploitation of the American black population was a long celebrated past time done by white compatriots, it wasn’t until the advent of bodycams, personalized video recording devices, and the ability to share these heinous crimes worldwide within seconds that society was able to see the extent to which these killings are committed. Through the murder of George Floyd, a spark was triggered which promoted international outrage as millions of people worldwide witnessed the callous act committed by Derek Chauvin. Through this one act, people worldwide have taken up the call to protest, and George Floyd’s murderers were soon put under arrest and sentenced for their crimes. Additionally, through this one act, many politicians have begun to discuss measures of which to reform the police force such that similar accidents may never occur again. While callous to say, without the scandalous murder of George Floyd, we as a society would not be given the chance to promote overdue change to the police force.

It is evident that the scandals are incredibly useful, as they put the negative aspects of society in the limelight better than any speaker or politician can. Historically, scandals were used as a way to reform industry so that industries are restricted in the extent to which they can exploit their workers. Furthermore, scandals are still used as a way to highlight the many negative aspects of everyday life that have been conveniently put under the covers. As such, it is evident that scandals are very useful tools to catalyze change.