The chart below shows estimated world literacy rates by region and by gender for the year 2000

The chart below shows estimated world literacy rates by region and by gender for the year 2000.

The bar chart gives information on the uneducated population divided by gender in 6 regions of the world. The data suggest that it was it 2000.
Overall, the highest illiteracy results were in South Asia/Oceania, Latin America/Caribbean and the last rate was in developed nations. It is obvious that there were more illiterate women than men in literally every place.
As the diagram suggest, the illiteracy rate in Latin America/Caribbean and East Asia/Oceania was only 1 per cent, 10 per cent and 14 per cent respectively considering both: male and female. Sub-Saharan Africa, the Arab States and South Asia had rates of approximately 40%, 41%, 45% respectively. In the developed countries the proportion of literacy among male and female was almost similar but the differences increased for Asia, Arab States and Africa. Among the all given countries, the South Asian population were far more illiterate that any other country.