In many countries today there are many highly qualified graduates without employment What factors may have caused this situation and what in your opinion can should be done about it Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your

In many countries today there are many highly qualified graduates without employment.

What factors may have caused this situation and what, in your opinion, can/should be done about it?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Across the world there are many countries where people with advanced degrees are
struggling to find employment. I think this is because full-time employment is no longer
the cornerstone of modern economies. Universities need to re-structure study options in
order to keep abreast of this development.
People often declare that there is no work around anymore. In fact, there is plenty of
work. Casual, on-call, contract, part-time and temporary positions have proliferated in
recent years. What is much rarer now is permanent employment, meaning positions with
a long-term contract, benefits, stability, internal promotion and skills development
organised by employers.
The problem is that the university education system was designed for an employmentcentred economy. People would dedicate anything from five to seven years to diligent
study in order to get a guaranteed career at the end of it. There is no guarantee anymore.
The solution is for university education to accommodate new working arrangements.
Study options need to be broken down into shorter “booster” qualifications taken on an
as-needed basis with more part-time, evening and distance options. A more realistic
scenario now is for workers to balance two separate income streams while studying on
the side – perhaps for the length of their working life – rather than studying full-time for
six years and then working full-time until retirement.
The post-employment economy is only a problem for people who are not prepared for it.
Unfortunately many of these people are highly-qualified graduates who are the product of
an antiquated education system. Revamping university study should resolve this issue.