Some companies sponsor sport and sports stars as a way to advertise themselves Some people think it is good while others think there are disadvantages Discuss both views and give your opinion

Some companies sponsor sport and sports stars as a way to advertise themselves. Some people think it is good, while others think there are disadvantages. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

It is true that a wide range of companies have advertised themselves by providing funding for sports clubs or sports stars. Although it is believed that this trend can be attributed to several drawbacks, I agree with those who regard this campaign as a significantly great movement.

On the one hand, some people support the view that some disadvantages associated with financing for sports clubs or sports stars in order to advertise. Companies simply strive to gain a competitive edge over their rivals and to maximize their profits. Sports merchandising – like Nike and the National Basketball Association in the US – sometimes connects the product and the sport, but often it does not. Liverpool FC, for example, is sponsored by a bank. However, money in sport has resulted in a win-at-all-costs attitude, encouraging bribery or the use of illegal substances such as performance-enhancing drugs. Individual celebrities, like Cristiano Ronaldo, have gained a fortune from the endorsement of sporting goods, and enjoy millionaire lifestyles.

On the other hand, I would contend that these aforementioned drawbacks pale in comparison to the significant benefits of this trend. First, since some tournament scales have covered around the world such as world cup or championship of football, among other, advertisers are able to make the most of these events to build up brand awareness among global viewers. Heineken, for instance, which has been the main donor for UEFA Champions League for 5 years always appears in spotlights of almost the number of football matches, thereby breaking into a new market. Second, by pouring money into sports, this means that sports stars are paid higher salaries and train full-time to raise not only their standards but also their quality of matches. Sports clubs are able to exploit the amount of funding to recruit and train new talent, gaining more achievements as a result.

In conclusion, i agree that although there are some negative impacts of this sponsorship, businesses and sport can gain a great deal of benefits from each other.