When designing a building the most important factor is the intended use of the building rather than its outward appearance

With the heighten of the artistic standard, people have tendency to focus on the design of the building. Some people believe that the architect should center on the functuon of the construction rather than its aesthetic aspect. In my opinion, both the intened use and outward looks are equally important when designing a building.
It is true that the utility of a building is essential to take into consideration during the designing steps. The architect needs to make sure that the building satisfies the demand of residents and is convenient for people to function in. If a construction lacked function, it would be vacated and thus become a waste. For example, when mentioning a residental apartment, people always think about an airy and spacious space, which is full of natural light and well – ventilated, making people feel comfortable and relaxable living in their house. Therefore, the designer should consider those minor modifications in order to help the residence sell at higher prices. Another example is the design of a hospital, which need to be spacious to accommodate a number of different wards or medical equipment to improve the quality of treatment, thus patients would give more positive feedback.
Nevertheless, it would be too narrow an approach to consider only the intended use but not its aesthetic aspect. Only when a building is eye-catching can it attract more visitord and potential customers to bring greater economy benefits to the investors. Moreover, a building of great aesthetic value can even become an iconic landmark and tourist attraction, which is an integral part of a city. For instance, museums or theater which have uniqua design like Sydney Opera House are likely to become an iconic building and attract a million visitors a year, being a good bargain. Furthermore, a school or workplace which have stunning or colorful design will stimulate students’ creativity and motivate them to perform better.
In conclusion, a building with a adequate function can make residents’ life more convenient and comfortable, whereas the aesthetic aspect brings more profits to owners and even become an iconic building of the city. Considering the benefits of both elements when designing a construction, architect should balance the intended function and outward appearance.