Do you agree or disagree Internet should be like other services such as roads and government should provide it to the public with no cost

Do you agree or disagree: Internet should be like other services, such as roads, and government should provide it to the public with no cost?

In this era in which we live, the Internet plays a pivotal role in all people’s life, as a broad spectrum of tasks require the Internet to be done. Providing this service demands quite a few high-quality infrastructures and equipment, which can be provided either by governments free or by private companies with some cost. Some people believe that this service should be free for all people, others believe otherwise. I, personally, agree with the latter idea—paying costs for the Internet. Getting Internet service free has quite a few demerits for its users, three of which – that is – low/inadequate quality, lack of privacy, and high taxes, are elaborated upon hereunder.
First, whether or not we like it, having high-quality Internet demands a great deal of budget, which should be spent on infrastructures and the salary of professional engineers. Therefore, if governments provide this service, they should increase taxes. In other words, people have to pay for the Internet either as taxes or as a subscription fee. Due to their efficient knowledge and specialization earned from their experiences and experts, private companies, in my opinion, can provide Internet service better than governments. On the other hand, governmental projects are usually outsourced to other companies through tenders. In this process, some corruption might occur, and a great deal of money may be wasted in vicious circles. Hence, I, personally, prefer to pay for Internet service directly to telecom companies, which assure me of their high-quality services, to pay high taxes for “free” Internet. in which is such an ambiguous for me.
Second, by using the term “free Internet”, the picture that comes to mind is that people will be roaming around with mobile devices that connect to the Internet through free “WiFi” and, of course, unlimited browsing – everywhere. This fantasy seems great. However, by using free Internet, people should pay its cost by their privacy, in my opinion. If the government provides this service, they will access the information of all citizens and can trace them. In a word, thanks to the free Internet, citizens would lose their freedom. While this deduction would not be true one-hundred percent, but in many cases, it is correct. On the other hand, telecom private companies make a contract in which they assure their clients of protecting their data and information. By and large, having more privacy is more preferable to having free Internet without privacy.
In conclusion, taking these reasons and examples into account, providing the Internet services by the government without “any cost” has many costs for people, among which lack of high-quality and well-developed Internet and lack of privacy are noticeable. People should pay for the Internet to save their privacy and enjoy adequate services.