TPO 48 TASK 1 WRITING

TPO 48 TASK 1 WRITING:

The author of the reading states that some environmental changes have declined the number of frog species around the world. The reading passage brings up three methods that can be considered as a solution to solve the problem. However, the lecture finds all of them unconvincing and provides some pieces of evidence to refute them.
First, the passage points out that pesticides that farmers used to prevent insects from damaging farm crops play a significant role in the declining frog species. Since these pesticides come into a frog’s body and affect the nervous system, it will lead to specific breathing problems. The reading passage suggests that certain preventing laws can be applied to prevent farmers from using these pesticides. In contrast, the professor expresses that this idea is not economically practical. Since using these pesticides drastically increases the number of crops that farmers produce, obeying prohibiting laws will decrease farmers’ crops in the market in comparison to other farmers in other areas.
Second, the reading passage explains that fungus that lives around the world and makes thickening of the skin. Since frogs absorb water through their skin, the infection affects the process of water absorption, and the frog experiences dehydration and will die. The writer accentuates that there are some treating or preventing methods such as anti-fungal medication that are able to kill the fungus with heat and should be applied widespread. On the other hand, the lecturer refutes this idea too and argues that since these treatments must be applied individually to each frog, clearly speaking, capturing and treating each frog, it will be difficult to handle such a project. Moreover, the frogs are not prevented from passing the fungus onto their offspring and it will not bring up positive results to the new generation of frogs.
Finally, the writer asserts that since frog species extremely dependent on their environment, for example, they lay their eggs in water, some natural habitat changes strongly influence their populations. People have threatened frog species habitats such as excessive water use or the draining of wetlands to make them suitable for development. Nevertheless, the speaker claims that these protection methods, such as protecting lakes and marshes from excessive water use and development, will not help frogs recover their populations. The professor believes that the real problem is global warming, which has contributed to reducing of many water supplies.