While the passage holds the opinion that there are multiple ways to prevent injuries to birds from hitting glass windows, the speaker disapproves all the pointed out statements by offering three explanations.
To begin with, the passage mentions that one-way glass can be used instead of a regular one. Being transparent only on one side tend to help birds to distinguish the window and to make them realize they are flying toward a solid barrier. The lecture, however disputes this assertion claiming that as a result of reflection of light on outer side of window, the window works just like a mirror. Therefore, the bird sees a reflection of tree or sky in the window and will fly right into it.
Secondly, the passage states that if colorful painted patterns are included on the glass, the birds will avoid flying through it. Although, the speaker holds an opinion against this statement by demonstrating that if the bird observe a unpainted area on the glass, it will think that it is a small hole and will try to fly through it. On the other hand, painting all of the glass so that it only contain a few tiny unpainted parts, will result in a dark environment in the house.
Lastly, although the passage claims that using a strong artificial magnetic field in the building will steer birds in a different direction, the lecture believes otherwise. He refutes this idea by giving explanation about how birds use magnetic field only to find direction during traveling to long distances. For short distances they only get aid from their sight and the use of their eyes to detect brightness levels.
To sum up, the speaker believes non of the solutions stated by writer are practical.
- TPO 36 Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement It is better to finish a project completely and then begin another project than to work on two or more projects at the same time Use specific reasons and examples to3
- TPO 50 Integrated Writing Task80
- TPO 37 Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Many people nowadays spend too much money on their pets dogs cats or other animals although there are better uses for this money Use specific reasons and example59
- TPO 53 Many countries require cigarette smokers to pay particularly high taxes on their purchases of cigarettes similar taxes are being considered for unhealthy foods The policy of imposing high taxes on cigarettes and other unhealthy products has a nu76
- TPO 45 independent writing taskDo you agree or disagree with the following statement In the past young people depended too much on their parents to make decisions for them today young people are better able to make decisions about their own lives Use s70
Number of Paragraphs: 5 4
better to have 4 paragraphs:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 25 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 4 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 2 2
No. of Sentences: 12 12
No. of Words: 291 250
No. of Characters: 1366 1200
No. of Different Words: 165 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.13 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.694 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.476 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 92 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 72 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 44 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 26 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 24.25 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.3 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.75 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.349 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.665 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.132 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 4