In many cities the use of video cameras in public places is being increased in order to reduce crime but some people believe that these measures restrict our individual freedom Do the benefits of increased security outweigh the drawbacks

In many cities the use of video cameras in public places is being increased in order to reduce crime, but some people believe that these measures restrict our individual freedom.
Do the benefits of increased security outweigh the drawbacks?

The cutting-edge technologies secure people activities. For this reason, the installation of video surveillance in some public areas increases significantly in many metropolitan cities to reduce the crime rates. However, critics claim that freedom will be restricted when the video cameras control every single activity that individuals do in daily routine. By doing so, it is believed that the advantages of implementation CCTV in the public places are greater than the detrimental effects.

Supporters to the use of video cameras in public zones argue that this development can secure citizens from criminals. Result shows that the crime rates in the bus stations decrease dramatically since the city council sets the CCTV in every corner side because these devices evoke a sense of fear among criminals to commit crime in the bus station. As a result, the more the video surveillance devices put in public areas, the more the people feel safety.

In addition, many sellers benefit of using video cameras in their shop as they can open 24 hours a day and can reduce the expenditure that has to spend on paying staff of security. Take mini market, Alfa Mart, as an example, the owner installs some video cameras in every corner side to control the buyers who do shopping and catch the thief. He only stays in the desk and watches the situation in the store using computer. It is obvious that advances video cameras provide many tangible benefits for people.

On the other hand, there are arguments to against the use of CCTV in the public areas which result in the limitation of individual freedom. Firstly, for some people, video cameras treat them like the criminals who are always under control of authority, and it leads to terrible situation for people. In addition, video cameras which set in offices restrict employees’ creativity because every conversation that staff do will be recorded. Lastly, video cameras cannot be placed in all public areas because in the specific area such as mosque and maternity room people need to keep their privacy.

In conclusion, the implementation of video cameras in public areas results in the great security which can protect citizens from crime while some people are more likely against the use of video surveillance with moral and individual freedom. Where possible, the spread out of video cameras should be controlled only on public areas, and governments have to announce the function of these technologies to the public.