The number of children that read books for fun has dropped dramatically in recent years What are the reasons for this How can we encourage children to read more

The number of children that read books for fun has dropped dramatically in recent years. What are the reasons for this? How can we encourage children to read more?

In the last few years, the number of younger generation who read books for pleasure has declined substantially. This essay will outline the reasons behind the recent phenomenon as well as the way to resolve it.

First of all, one of the reasons is that using smartphone among young-aged community has mostly replaced traditional reading activities. This has been inflicting them to experience technology addiction, stated by Frontiers in Psychology, negatively affecting their academic performance (learning process and task completion) in the long run. Moreover, lower literacy rate among today’s kids are aroused by poor parental presence to up-bring children’s reading habits. Indeed, hectic day-to-day work during children’s growth in golden age contributes to their incompetent self-growth. If every caregiver implements home reading practise at such stage, the reading culture will be the same as in Japan.

Regarding aforementioned factors, the remarkable solution is to establish a strong emphasis of reading culture — such as parent literacy workshop — which will accelerate parent’s awareness of its benefits. Apparently, Western society has succeeded in promoting essential literacy skills by narrating stories before sleeping to cultivate imaginations and comprehend story lines, thus, finding reading as entertainment activity. Moreover, both printed and electronic books should be integrated into innovative learning media to instil a sense of curiosity. Together with establishing literacy program at school by Monbusho (Japanese Ministry of Education), the usage of playful book increases children’s excitement, enhancing their motivation and cognitive development.

To sum up, several reasonable factors lie behind reading interest among young generation including unsupported environment in their childhood and advanced technology addiction. However, reading for fun may be encouraged towards finding their interest and using modern playing books.