The use of social media is replacing face to face interaction among many people in society Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

The use of social media is replacing face-to-face interaction among many people in society. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

It is true that more and more people all over the world rely on social networking sites to keep in touch with people that they know. While there are some positive aspects of this trend, I believe that overall the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.
On the one hand, there are two clear advantages of using social media rather than depending on face-to-face communication. Firstly, in the modern world, families and friends may often be scattered across the globe, due to work or study commitments, for example. Large family gatherings may be impossible to organise and, without the existence of social media, a decline in communication with relatives and close friends might result. Secondly, thanks to sites like Facebook or Linkedin, it is now possible to keep in touch with a large number of people, sharing photos, making small talk and exchanging news. Many people have hundreds of followers on their Facebook page, for instance.
On the other hand, I would argue that there is no substitute for face-to-face interaction. One reason is that social media discourage real interaction and prevent people from developing social skills. Humans use all their senses in order to communicate fully, such as touch and gestures. Also, despite advances in technology, face-to-face interaction avoids some of the dangers of social media. These include computer hackers and online scams, stealing personal information on networking sites. For example, if I announce on Facebook that I will be going abroad on holiday, I may return to find my house has been
burgled.
In conclusion, although most people can now access the internet and social media are widely used, I consider that the drawbacks of lack of personal contact – compared with face-to-face interaction - and issues of privacy outweigh the advantages.