Both the reading and the lecture discuss potential writers of a mysterious book illustrated by Wilfrid M.Voynich. The passage mentions three possible options for the author. However, the lecturer casts some doubts about pointed out statements by illaborating strong reasons.
To begin with, the passage asserts that a sixteenth-century biologist and botanist can be the man behind this magical book which was written in a complex secret code. On the other hand, the speaker disapproves this assertion by demonstrating that the writer should have had the desire to keep an important data from others to make so much effort to code the data. However, the biologist mostly researched on common plants and never proposed any original idea.
Furthermore, the passage states that the book can be fake and it may not contain any valuable context. For instance, he mentions Edward kelley who pretended some objects had magical powers to earn money from them. The speaker disputes this claim emphasizing that fooling in that day and age was rather easy and there was no need for such a complex code algorithm to achieve this goal.
Last but not least, the passage establishes that the seller may have had created a fake old manuscript to receive a valuable offer in exchange. The passage refutes this suggestion and brings further evidence proving that both the ink and the vellum were investigated and they dated back to 400 years ago. So, even if Wilfrid could find an vellum, he was not able to use a 400 year old ink. Therefore, this idea is logically impossible.
- TPO 45 independent writing taskDo you agree or disagree with the following statement In the past young people depended too much on their parents to make decisions for them today young people are better able to make decisions about their own lives Use s 70
- TPO 49 Integrated writing 70
- TPO 46 Independent Writing TaskDo you agree or disagree with the following statement The opinions of celebrities such as famous entertainers and athletes are more important to younger people than they are to older people Use specific reasons and examp 70
- TOEFL TPO 43 Integrated Writing Task 60
- TPO 34 integrated writing task 70
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 26 in 30
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 13 12
No. of Words: 261 250
No. of Characters: 1273 1200
No. of Different Words: 166 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.019 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.877 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.598 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 94 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 72 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 38 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 25 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 20.077 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.278 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.692 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.317 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.55 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.054 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 4