TPO-42 - Integrated Writing Task
The glass is an awesome material adapted in building contemporary architecture, but it is dangerous for birds. Because they have problems to identify the glass due to the transparency of it. The article offers three ways to prevent birds from collision with glass, but these points are opposed by the professor in the lecture.
Firstly, the paragraph suggests that the problem would be solved by building one-way glass. Because the birds can see the opaque appearance of it from outside, they would know they are unable to pass through the window. In contrast, the lecture mentions that the reflection of one-way glass, being seen by birds, like a mirror. It would reflect the background scene, like sky or trees, so birds still try to pass it.
Secondly, the article proposes a color design that could be distinguished by birds and therefore avoid the issue. Still, the professor doesn't agree. Because the colorful designs incorporating thin stripes that could be interpreted as holes by birds. Thus, they would still try to fly through the holes. Moreover, even If the stripes are removed, the space inside becomes much darker and it is inappropriate for human-beings to stay in for long time.
Lastly, the argument presumes that the magnetic field would divert away the flying direction of birds based on their ability, like a compass, to decide where to go. On the contrary, the professor opposes this hypothesis. Because the magnetic field, adapted by birds, is used to travel for long distance, rather than short one. For short distance, birds use their eyes and the brightness of the light to locate destination.
In conclusion, the paragraph offers several points, that the professor contradicts, to avoid the danger faced by birds.
- Some people believe that when busy parents do not have a lot of time to spend with their children the best use of that time is to have fun playing games or sports Others believe that it is best to use that time doing things together that are related to sc 70
- Most homes in the northeastern United States where winters are typically cold have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating Last heating season that region experienced 90 days with below normal temperatures and climate forecasters predict th 58
- Question Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Workers are more satisfied when they have many different types of tasks to do during the workday than when they do similar tasks all day long Use specific reasons and examples to support your 85
- Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country. 58
- As we acquire more knowledge things do not become more comprehensible but more complex and mysterious 72
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 23 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 17 12
No. of Words: 288 250
No. of Characters: 1408 1200
No. of Different Words: 158 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.12 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.889 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.554 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 95 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 75 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 45 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 26 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 16.941 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 5.61 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.706 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.326 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.326 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.041 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 1 4