Some people feel that manufactures and supermarkets have the responsibility to reduce to amount of packaging of goods While other argue that customers should avoid buying goods with a lot of packing Discuss both views and give your opinion

Some people feel that manufactures and supermarkets have the responsibility to reduce to amount of packaging of goods. While other argue that customers should avoid buying goods with a lot of packing.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.

There is a widely-held view among people about who should be in charge of cutting off the excessive packaging of goods. While there has been a growing body in favor of customers staying away from overpackaged products, I am of the opinion that the responsibility to tackle this issue lies with the manufacturers.

On the one hand, it is no doubt true that customers play an indispensable role regarding how the manufacturers package the product. Buyers are free to choose what to buy based on their needs. Hence, if they show the producers their preferences for purchasing products such as buying the goods without extra packaging, this behavior will act as an indirect message to owners to take essential steps to eliminate excessive packaging.

On the other hand, a win-win situation will be developed if the manufacturers minimize the amount of packaging and opt to utilize biodegradable, recyclable and environmentally-friendly materials rather than plastic ones. Firstly, these actions will serve as a deterrent to decrease the waste emitted to the environment, preventing environmental degradation, which contributes to sustainable development on a global scale if persisting in the long term. Secondly, using less material packaged in one product will help lower its price, which is beneficial to customers, allowing them to purchase more without considering the cost. This will facilitate not only the brand’s revenue but also the flow of products and services, acting as a stimulus to enhance the country’s socioeconomic development. For instance, since Body Shop – a natural cosmetic brand altered its packaging to be more minimalist, its annual sales have significantly doubled.

In conclusion, it might seem sensible to me that curtailing the over-packaging of products is the onus of producers rather than consumers.