The following recommendation was made by the president and administrative staff of Grove College a private institution to the college s governing committee we recommend that Grove College preserve its century old tradition of all female education rather t

The following recommendation was made by the president and administrative staff of Grove College, a private institution, to the college’s governing committee.
‘we recommend that Grove College preserve its century old tradition of all-female education rather than admit all men into its program. It is true that a majority of faculty members voted in favor of coeducation , arguing that it would encourage more students to apply to Grove. But 80% of the students responding to a survey conducted by the student government wanted the school to remain all female, and over half of the alumnae who answered a separate survey also opposed coeducation, keeping the college all females will improve morale among students and convince alumnae to keep supporting the college financially.’

The author concluded that that keeping the college all female will improve the morale among students and also convince alumnae to support the school financially based on the survey carried out on the students and the alumnae regardless of the faculty member decision is considerably flawed.
Firstly, the type of survey carried out was not implicitly stated. Perhaps the questions asked in the survey were redundant or it could be that the questions asked were ten –pages long with just two questions allocated to the type of gender the students/alumnae wants. There is also fact that majority of the faculty members supported coeducation. Generally, coeducation might work in favor of the College and even improve the moral standard of the students as they will have to learn from both genders and learn to differentiate between right from wrong.
Secondly, the gender of the students that responded to the survey was not clearly stated either. Maybe the survey was presented to only female students or even to only a particular grade (higher or lower) only. If the survey was conducted to female students only, then it is possible that the result will be favorable to accepting all-females only in the College. Also the number of students that responded to the survey was not clear. Perhaps only ten students out of 100 students responded to the survey that would mean that only 8 students support the notion of all-female students in the school. 8 students for sure cannot speak for 100 students. Also, there may be pressure on the students either by the students governing bodies or by their parents to pick all-female over coeducation. If this exists, the outcome will surely favor the all-female notion over all-male or coeducation.
Thirdly, the number of alumnae who answered the survey is quite questionable. If 50%of the alumnae answered the survey that would mean that a little over 25% of the alumnae is in favor of the all-female students in the school, which doesn’t speak well for the population of the alumnae as a whole. The subject of morale is also quite questionable. Whether a school is all-female all coeducation doesn’t define the morale standard of the schools. Students can learn morality outside school premises; it could be at home, place of worship and even through various recreational activity. Therefore the notion of all-females doesn’t hold waters for morale standard.
Fourthly, the author assumed that adhering to the wishes of the alumnae that answered the survey would make the alumnae keep supporting the college financially, this conclusion is very flawed. As stated earlier if only few population of the alumnae are in support of the all-female school, then financial support from the alumna will most likely come only from the alumnae that supported the motion or not at all. There was no evidence to support that the alumnae were going to support the College financially either.
In conclusion, in order to be sure that keeping the college all female will improve, morale among students and also convince alumnae to support the school financially more specific surveys will have to be carried out on higher population of students in the school and on alumnae.