Claim In any field business politics education government those in power should step down after five years Reason The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership

Claim: In any field — business, politics, education, government — those in power should step down after five years.
Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.

Human beings, as a species, always strive for stability- be it in their personal relationships, in their work or in the government- although that is very difficult to achieve. So, it is natural for people to think of different ways in keeping their life smooth and secure. However, I’m not it total agreement of the claim to change the people in power every five years.

The path to success does not solely revolve around new leadership. It is important to support the ones in power objectively. Sure, bringing in new ideas and methods is crucial for revitalization of the enterprise but they need not be necessarily be brought by new leadership. There is no guarantee that the newly elected leaders will bring about changes – more importantly, changes which might prove beneficial for an organisation. There have numerous instances across history wherein new leaders have gone on to damage an institution by implementing their own policies. For example, in 2013, there was a take-over at Manchester United, one of the most well run club for a century, and new Board of Directors and CEO were appointed. However, they were not in complete sync with the philosophy of the club and their atrocious decisions have led the club in a downward spiral. Their team is no more a force to be reckoned with. This example shows in spite of leadership change we can’t be sure that there will be fruitful results in the future.

Even when the new leaders turn out to be favourable to an institution, it generally takes some time for them to produce results. Often, the new ones tend to disregard the policies that were supported by their predecessors and try to implement their own policies. Hence, whatever work that was done before them goes to waste and things start again from ground zero. Also, upon frequently changing the heads, some sort of instability arises as periodic changes in the plans leads to no clear direction. This is experienced in politics, especially in a democracy. After every five years, a new government is formed and each of them impose their own philosophies and completely neglecting whatever job that might have been in the process by the previous government. This is one of the main reasons why so many projects and plans never tend to finish and eventually are ceased.

Although having the same leaders is good for steadiness, I might also create some problems. If there is no check on what the leaders are doing and there is no accountability to the people, it leads to a dangerous situation. To take an instance, Adolf Hitler had the vision to make Germany the greatest superpower in the world, but the means with which he tried to achieve this were quite horrific and destructive. People were oblivious of the crimes that Hitler and his government were carrying out and someone tried to speak against Hitler, he or she use to be punished criminally. Hence, it is very important to have awareness on the government and the leader’s activities.

All in all, changing leaders frequently might bring instability and slow down the proceedings of an institution but at the same time is very important to keep an eye out on what the leaders are doing to avoid any sort of calamity.