Some people think that offenders should be put in prison Others however believe that providing offenders with education and training is more effective than putting them in prison Discuss both views and give your opinion

Some people think that offenders should be put in prison. Others, however, believe that providing offenders with education and training is more effective than putting them in prison.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.

It is believed that criminals should be imprisoned, whereas there are some of those who argue that educating lawbreakers is a more persuasive way than the conventional one. From my perspective, I am of the opinion that both viewpoints are justifiable, but I would lean towards the latter.

On the one hand, offenders are thought to have to receive imprisonment sentence by virtue of some compelling reasons. Firstly, putting them behind bars could provide citizens with the optimal safety as there are some hardened criminals who really pose a threat to the society. Additionally, during the term being jailed, wrong doers would have more time to think about what they did wrong in the past and what they have stood trial for and hence being reformed to a certain extent. This could somehow lead to the reduction in crime rate as well as the enhancement of the life quality, and thereby creating the safe community without crime.

I would think that this traditional method, however, should only be applied for vicious offenders who have committed serious crimes such as: homicide, drug possession, arson, among others. Besides, it is more reasonable to rehabilitate minor criminals instead of being punished with jailed terms. In fact, people have a tendency to commit crimes due to their poverty, unemployment, pressure from society. Thus, when undergoing vocational training courses and rehabilitation programmes, one would be capable of searching for suitable occupations, and hence earning money to meet their current demands. Moreover, providing offenders with education and training other than to jail them could decline the re –offence rate. This is because they may be influenced by other prisoners’ behaviours and therefore commit crime again.

In conclusion, while incarceration term should be maintained to strictly punish those who are dangerous offenders, my belief is that it is much better to reform wrong doers by guiding them what is right and wrong so that they can prepare for being released into society again.